36,000-miler; 17 traverses of the entire AT
AT Circle Expedition leader/organizer (1974-present)
Some say the Appalachian Trail and Warren Doyle have become synonymous due to the passion/commitment that Warren has had for the trail for the last 44 years based on the following facts:
- He has traversed, by foot, the entire Appalachian Trail seventeen (17) times –more than any other person. (nine thru-hikes; eight section hikes).
- Over a 40-year era, he has organized/led nine groups of people up the entire trail with phenomenal completion results - 7 out of these 8 non-commercial groups have had 100% completion rates.
- He is the founder (1982), along with being the first coordinator and honorary life member, of ALDHA – the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association.
- Dr. Doyle created and is the director of the Appalachian Trail Institute. This four night/five day thru-hiking planning/preparation session has, for over 25 years, helped several hundred people fulfill their thru-hiking dreams.
- He has been an engaging, innovative, and artistic college educator for four decades and is a charter member of the Wilderness Education Association.
- Dr. Doyle has been featured in such publications as Backpacker; Sports Illustrated and Appalachia along with being mentioned in numerous articles/ books and appearances in several trail videos.
- He has been called a ‘living legend’, the ‘Yoda’ and ‘Abbie Hoffman’ of the Appalachian Trail, compared to both Jimi Hendrix and Ethan Allen, and also has been called a plethora of bad names from a small, but vocal, group of cyberbullies.
- He was selected as the 2009 Outdoors Person of the Year by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine.
- He was described as the 'freest person they know' by a person whom he has great respect for.
Dr. Doyle is known for being a dynamic, opinionated but knowledgeable, unapologetic but caring, social change educator who is devoted to helping people fulfill their long-distance hiking goals and to experience the joy of moving to the music that they collectively hear. He loves assisting travelers on the way to becoming since there is only the road ahead.